So for this morning and perhaps this afternoon, I felt I needed a break from coding.
I still have the urge to practice a few things but I'm also quite tired.
I don't remember if I mentioned it in my first post but I have an evening job as an MRI Tech from 2 pm to ???
This job along with my coding / learning time exhausts me sometimes.
Therefore today, I thought it was a good idea to take a break.
I've been relaxing and reading news / tech and non tech / and (surprisingly) enjoying this hot weather we have in NY right now. I usually hate hot weather.
Sitting by the window / with a fan blowing at my side, it's nice.
I've been thinking more about my impending career change plans.
Is it the right thing to do? Is it too late? Am I considering all I need to? How will family life turn out should we grow our family this coming year? Oh, and what about health insurance? (Thanks Obama for another big bill - yet I guess we would need it this year anyway).
-----
So, a little more info on my plans:
I'm very lucky to be here in NY right now as we have so many code academies springing up all over the place.
As I may have mentioned, I have already been accepted to one. At the same time, I was also trying to pass all the tests in order to get into a more well known academy.
It seems though that I may not have the skills yet in order to get into this other more well known one.
I did about half of their pre-admission work so far but the last half of it deals with a lot of coding commands and processes that I'm not familiar with yet.
The academy I did get into asks for tuition and the academy I have been trying to get into asks for nothing until you work but tests you harder to make sure you can succeed. Personally, I think I can succeed but their original email / test did not ask for many advanced coding knowledge that their 2nd pre test email did ask for.
They say there is no time limit but the school that did accept me is asking for my tuition downpayment by the end of the week. That's a sure thing so I don't think I should mess with that. I won't be done with the other code academy's tests by the end of the week. I figure I should go to the one I got accepted to and just finish up the challenges anyway during the coming week or 2.
As a side note, I plan to keep my MRI job on weekends for the time being while I'm in the coding academy to keep my work history going just in case I have to switch back someday.
I hope not though, MRI and Radiology in general is a cr@ppy business I have found. You don't get any respect and the work is mundane and endless. At least at the company where I am now, they make you want to leave.
-----
I guess as a final thought, I have read all over the place that as far as coding goes, it's what you know and not where you go in order to get a good position so I'm putting stock in that and I'm just going to work as hard as I can at whatever academy I go to.
Programming is nice because it's so dynamic. You can learn more or less to your liking or toward where you want to go. The disadvantage is you may be driven and be able to learn fast or you may be lazy and learning could take years. It's better to be in the former of course.
No comments:
Post a Comment